Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Always Watch the Stove

You know those phrases that your Mom repeats over an over growing up? Don't touch the outlets; watch the stove when you're cooking; clean your room; don't ride on the cat's back; etc. Funny how as we grow up we find that it wasn't just some mantra that was part of the parenting programming package they received on their wedding day, rather it's really good advice designed to drill into our heads so that we'll invariably repeat it to our kids and three generations later it will advert some freak disaster or another. Well, it must have been that third generation round of repetitions in our family . . . Last night, Nora (9) was being a big girl and was cooking a meat pie all by herself (well, Mom was peeking in off an on) in the oven and keeping an eye on the pot on top of the stove. Well, fifteen minutes into cooking, the pie is burnt. She didn't do anything wrong- right oven rack, right pan, right temperature, half the time it should have taken, etc. But the oven had been watching the "Brave Little Toaster" and found a new villain to emulate or something. It just kept getting hotter and hotter and wouldn't turn off when we hit the proper button. Really weird stuff- so we hit the circuit breaker and it was fine. But, my friends, this is your reminder to always watch the stove when you're cooking and to always do all those other little things that a wise sage disguised as a broken record told you once upon a time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Skyminder said...

Wow. I'm actually very disturbed. I'm going to go curl up under my sheets in the fetal position. I was going to bake cookies tonight too. . .

7/06/2005 7:50 PM  
Blogger Kelly Jo said...

Wow--you finally emerge from hiding for a month and my story scares you away again--so sorry. I was going to bake too, at least you have an oven. :(

7/07/2005 12:17 PM  
Blogger Filia Dei said...

I was going to think of something appropriately humerous to contribute, but as all three of the London underground stations I would ordinarily go through on my morning commute were attacked by terrorists this morning, I'm afraid I can only second Kelly Jo's admonissions to carefullness. (Thankfully I was shopping at the time.) Skyminder, I certainly hope you were not thinking of TRANPORTING those cookies anywhere, especially by Underground, even if you did succeed in making them. After all, I, too, am looking forward to a hale and hearty continuation of your current resurrection.

7/07/2005 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home