Friday, July 08, 2005

State of Alarm

Humans never cease to amaze me. They take so many precautions to ensure their own safety and then somehow abandon that precious part of rationality, common sense, when it comes to the simple things. I have called dozens of colleges the past couple of weeks and listened to their dull, automated answering messages and menu lists. Inevitably, it is something along the lines of: Hello! You have reached Nokesville University, a Catholic institution in the Franciscan tradition located in the rural outskirts of the Washington DC area. We offer understudy degrees in real estate, agricultural studies, distributivism, and traditional American dialects and linguistics. If you would like to speak to Admissions, press one. If you would like . . . . If this is an emergency and you need to contact campus security for a bigger gun than the one in your trunk, press 7.
Meanwhile, I'm thinking, "It's a good thing I'm only calling to contact the Public Relations department, which is not even on this menu, because if I had been listening all the way through and intro and seven touch-tone phone key options and was in an emergency situation, I'd be mugged, robbed, and dead by now." Honestly, who's brilliant idea was that?!

Gosh, looking at my last couple of posts, you'd think I was paranoid or something. Really, I'm fine . . . maybe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Skyminder said...

This is a lurker. I'm lurking.

7/09/2005 5:01 PM  
Blogger Filia Dei said...

Oy vey! No wonder the poor girl is scared, then!

7/12/2005 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home