Monday, July 25, 2005

The Way We Are

Looking back on my weekend, it was extremely typical or at least representative of my family. Why? Because Friday, Saturday, and Sunday each had singing or dancing or both as an intrinsic part of our plans. Honestly, living with my family can be like living in a musical at times - I love it. Anyways, Friday, Bridge was in a local production of Fiddler on the Roof. They did an excellent job with the singing, acting, costumes, sets, and choreography. And of course, Fiddler is just intrinsically an awesome play and storyline. The characters and situation are very real, which for me is more important than a perfect little "Joe and Sue get together and live happily ever after" type of plot. I ended up staying out until 2am at a cast party, reconnecting with several people I hadn't seen much since graduation.
Saturday, I went to Christy's for a Mary Kay spa treatment thing that she won for herself and her girlfriends. I love chilling out with those girls and having girl time. Maybe someday I'll understand why grunting and wrestling and watching sports constitutes good guy time for . . . no I won't, but if they enjoy it, power to them I guess. And it would be a little weird to see them all getting silk hand treatments and daintily consuming tea and cakes. :) That night I tried to call about 5 people and got a hold of two, and one was Michele, so that lasted until bed time. I miss that girl!
That evening, I cantored a Mass for Daddy at the NC Feis. Dad arrived part way through, and it was lovely to sing with him again and talk to him afterwards. Even though I'm not particularly a fan of the Mass of Creation and some of the other songs we led, at least the people sang. Now if we could only get them to learn the Missa de Angelis too . . .
Sunday, I was at the feis (trans: Irish dance competition) all morning through the early afternoon. Nora was competing and so I helped her find her stages and get ready and all that type of "Mom stuff" while Mom was volunteering on the stages. Larry, ever patient with my crazy and diverse interests, showed up as well to an environment in direct opposition to his boy's camp jobs of the past. Picture over a thousand little girls running around in sparkling costumes and bouncing tube curls practicing, crying, laughing, competing, and squeezing through the crowded pathways of the music and feet filled competition room. Welcome to my world. :) Nora placed in two of her steps and headed home with mom. A little while later, Mom called to say that Nora forgot her trophies at the feis. Fortunately, Lars and I had stayed in the area to explore the park around my dance school's practice building, so I drove back to the hotel and looked around. Alas, the trophies were nowhere to be found and were not turned in to the lost and found. Can you imagine if some kid took them? "Look Mom, I uh won two more umm prizes that I forgot to tell you about." O.k. But, I talked to the prize people, mentioned that Nora was Bridget's sister and the name of our dance school (aka pulled some rather big strings) and obtained two trophies that matched the lost pair. Whew! Finally, I got a chance to go to dinner with my other sister Erin, went home, and fell asleep at 9:30. A long but lovely weekend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Filia Dei said...

So much fun! Takes me back to fond memories of my summers. I have to admit I'm jealous that you get to spend so much time with little sisters, and at a feis no less! Aren't they precious? Thanks for sharing!

But do you like Fiddler on the Roof as a movie? I always thought it kind of failed on screen somehow.

7/25/2005 5:55 PM  
Blogger Skyminder said...

Filia Dei I have to be officially most offended at that last comment. Fiddler on the Roof is not only the greatest musical play put to the screen but one of the greatest and most visually compelling films of all time. Having seen both the stageplay and the film, I must say that Norman Jewisson's film adaptation was true to the matter AND the form of the play, (always reverential of its stage roots) yet visually stunning in a way that few films since then have been.

Actually, I wanted to write Kelly Jo and thank her (and consequently Filia Dei) for her/their wonderful comments on my latest blog. You never know who reads those things, and you ladies were quick on the draw.

In Christ,

7/27/2005 7:21 PM  
Blogger Filia Dei said...

Ah Hah! Your officially affronted invective does not alarm me, sirrah!

Actually, I'm intrigued now. You agree with my Dad about that film, and that means I'll have to go back and watch it thoughtfully, (i.e. without so many small children). And then we can get a group together and discuss everything madly over shortbread and apple pie?

Want to come Kelly Jo?! Your insights would be especially helpful, I'm sure - like the post Skyminder refers too. Did you notice: I didn't even feel compelled to claim the last word there for myself? Decidedly out of character, and therfore proof or your skill.

Well done, and I'm glad Skyminder gave me a pretext to thank you, 'cause I wanted to, but didn't know where to do it!

7/29/2005 8:28 AM  
Blogger Kelly Jo said...

Oh no, we got Franklin started on Fiddler! Opps! j/k
Seriously though, I love the play (I've seen it done twice by different casts) and the movie (I've seen it lots of times but not recently enough to have a clear idea of the cinematography of it). It's rare to find a clean movie/play that still artfully and truthfully expresses the problems and struggles of an era. "Fiddler on the Roof" maintains that balance. The score is also a work of art poetically as well as in variety, continuity, and lyrical relavence. In addition, the music always adds to the character development or plot and doesn't detract from the drama. Too often musicals, in their carefree way, insert songs in random places that obliquely pertain to the plot. Fiddler did not trip into this unprofessional rut. In sum, "Fiddler on the Roof" is a play/movie that I would wholeheartedly recomend to anyone--something I rarely can do in conscience.

7/29/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger Filia Dei said...

Oh my friends,

I stand corrected.

In fact, I sit in my temerity and contemplate the sillyness of my flippant youth.

I just can't ever get away with being flippant, can I? ;-) I hope Aristotle was right when he said 'Wit is educated insolence'...

7/29/2005 2:48 PM  
Blogger Kelly Jo said...

Not a correction my dear, just an encouragement to return to a piece of art and look at it again... :)

7/29/2005 2:57 PM  
Blogger Filia Dei said...

Hey! No fair: Don't be too nice to me when I deserved that one. I really did!

But you are right. And isn't God good to give us so many different sets of eyes to see things with? I love it!

7/29/2005 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home