Thursday, August 11, 2005

Day Dreaming of Italia


Dear Rome Students,

Happy Feast of Santa Chiara (Saint Clare), helpmate of Saint Francis and a true woman of God!

I'll never forget the beautiful streets of Assisi. Early in the morning, I'd wander through the winding side-streets and along the edge of the worn city walls. Most of the tourists were still in bed after a night enjoying Tuscany's wines, and my only companions were the solitary cats hiding among the charming flower pots balancing on the narrow steps. Then, I'd round a corner and a beautiful cathedral was before me. As pretty as Santa Chiara was though, I have to admit that my favorite view was looking down on San Francesco from the top of the high wall outside Santa Margarita. Hmmmm . . . I'd advise almost anyone to visit there for a peaceful retreat from the business of daily life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna-Katie said...

And, while the ever-exuberant Kelly was frolicking with temperamental early-morning felines, the rest of us were buried comatose under our covers after a night of being kept up till the wee sma's by a plethora of inebriated Italians enjoying aforementioned Tuscany wine a little too much...

8/11/2005 9:23 PM  
Blogger The Fonz said...

alright, ladies, anymore adjectives and I'm going to choke. I mean really...

8/11/2005 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Yeah, well, you're just a malevolent, insufferable, incurable, insensitive, churlish boor. ;-)

8/12/2005 1:20 AM  
Blogger Kelly Jo said...

Don't call my boyfriend names. Honestly, Larry "malevolent"? in terms of his comment, well, he'll learn.
And by the way, I was up the night before listening to those guys too, except I was on top of a vine covered wall of an old tower with Ted. Such a beautiful view! Is it bad to not regret possibly trespassing? (Really, I couldn't read the sign in Italian. It could have said: Visitors who escape the vicious dogs below are welcome to climb the vines and wires to the top of this ancient building that we're trying to restore.)

8/12/2005 12:44 PM  
Blogger The Fonz said...

That's true...I will learn...learn not to drive in a car with 3 English majors at the same time. I was minutes away from throwing myself out of the car. minutes.

8/12/2005 10:01 PM  
Blogger Donna-Katie said...

Fine, but you can't stop me from THINKING certain unflattering adjectives about Larry... I'll just never tell you what they are! :-P

(Just kidding, Larry. You know I love you. Wait, not like that, Kel!! Crud... I'm just digging myself deeper here, aren't I?... better quit while I'm ahead... as Confucius says, idiot no speakum to friends after long trip to Canada on no sleepum or else friend no be friend anymore. hehehe. :) )

8/15/2005 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home