Sunday, October 02, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me

Thank you to all my lovely friends who sent cards, voicemails, etc. to wish me a happy birthday. Ya'll are so sweet. I had an awesome birthday! It began with the guys serenading me outside my window at midnight and Larry again winning the best-boyfriend ever award. ;) Honestly, can you beat a guy climbing a ladder to your windowsill to give you a dozen roses? (Yes ladies, this is where you all sigh...) Then, after a test the next day at school, my girlfriends all kidnapped me for the rest of the evening. They blindfolded me to take me to an Italian restaurant for great food, a couple drinks, and lots of laughter. Then, a bunch of the basement girls from last year corralled me into a room to watch "Lorna Doone" and eat pie and ice cream. My friends are wonderful--I'm absolutely spoiled!

The next day, Larry took me to see the National Symphony play Dvorak at the Kennedy Center. We went with a bunch of our friends. (As always, someone has to get lost or have car trouble or something) Pat's car kicked out several times on 66, but we made it ok and in plenty of time. The concert itself was gorgeous! For the second half of the concert, we got to move down to empty seats in the ground level gallery about 2/3 of the way back (perfect for acoustics). The sound just washed over us and positively swept me away. In front of us was an elderly gentleman who you could tell was a true aficionado. He sat twisted in his seat, straining to catch every nuance and lingering chord. At times, his hand would impulsively conduct the orchestra and his head would bow to the beauty performed before him. So rarely in the modern age does one see the passionate soul overwhelmed in the presence of beauty. I hope and pray that I will never fall pray to the transient spirit that draws the soul to indulge in trivial pleasures and art that amuses only because it is novel or strange and to shy away from the profound, the complex, and the beauty that is worthy of contemplation.

5 Comments:

Blogger coiledrose said...

I'm sorry I couldn't be around, but here's a belated birthday from me, too. I'd only just returned from a business trip, but I'll be sure to wish a happy birthday in person this weekend.

10/03/2005 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Adrienne said...

I hope you had a very happy Birthday, Kelly. God knows you deserve it! And yes, Larry won several awards in his successful attempt to win his lady's heart all over again. The H-----s [edited by site administrator- please don't use last names on here ya'll] are very much God's way. Even Dan.

I hope you have many more happy Birthdays. You are an awesome friend!

10/03/2005 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Teddy said...

We wanted to make it special for you and I guess we succeeded. I am glad you enjoyed the celebration!! ...I certainly enjoyed celebrating with you! ;)

May God grant you many more years to celebrate!

10/05/2005 5:13 PM  
Blogger Kelly Jo said...

Ladies and Gentlemen, Ecco! My roomie DOES check my blog ever once in a blue moon! (Actually, this was probably the first or second time ever, but I love her anyhow.)

10/07/2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I love your roomie, too! She is definitely God's Way!

11/03/2005 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home