Thursday, November 03, 2005

Mea Culpa

To my dear friends who actually still faithfully check this blog, I commend you for your fortitude despite my business and negligence. Forgive me. Why have I been so busy? . . .

Currently, I'm stage managing a production of The Cocktail Party by T.S. Eliot. Quite frankly, I've found it to be his most approachable play. I love it's recognition of the profundity and eternal significance of the everyday sins, desires, attitudes, and moments of inspiration. Eliot manages to capture the timeless questions of lovers, friends, spouses, and those whose mission it is to help others, and then he proceeds to provide direction for these lost souls with a subtle Christian influence communicated through superb psychology and sincere dialogs. If you haven't read it, I'd highly recommend it with the suggestion that you picture it all as you read--the humor is sometimes subtle but wonderful and the language unites the colloquial with the profound beautifully.

I'm also in the process of researching and writing three papers but we're not going to talk about that right now . . .

Thesis stuff is going well. I just committed an unpardonable sin (well, at least I always told myself I wouldn't do it) and decided to focus the second part of my thesis on an application of modern feminist and true feminist philosophical tenants to a Jane Austen novel. Remind me never to say never to things like writing a thesis on Jane Austen, because whenever I say that it seems to happen. God has a lovely sense of humor.

This weekend's itinerary runs something along the lines of: write paper, go to wedding, write paper, attend a bit of Pub Night, arrange a movie night for my girls, write paper, maybe go to an RA hang-out night, write paper, paint flats, write paper, go shopping for more play stuff and recruit more people that I can order around, ummm maybe most of the paper will be done at this point . . . So clearly, I'll probably head out first thing to spend part of the day with Larry instead because we both need a break and the weather is supposed to be in the upper 70's. ;)

Oh well! I hope you're all doing well, and I'll try to be a bit more faithful about writing.

Meanwhile, check out this guy's pictures (you can skip the swimming pool one). He does chalk drawings that look 3D when seen from a particular angle. The coke bottle one is particularly impressive. http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Note for Englishy people: Google just opened a new tool that has thousands of online texts and online criticism for old and recent works. Not all of it is public domain (like on Project Gutenberg, etc.) so it can't all be printed, but it's searchable and a great new paper resource. Have fun! http://print.google.com/

6 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Much luck with your papers. And who knows, maybe sometime this weekend, you'll even stop and ask directions to Catherine's second floor where all those forgotten friends of yours live. I think you may have forgotten how to get there. :o)

11/04/2005 8:56 AM  
Blogger coiledrose said...

Well, if nothing else I know you're still breathing. I feel your pain regarding the play, and your remark about painting flats has brought back all sorts of memories of bribing boys with baked goods to set them up with paint rollers for a few hours. :)

11/04/2005 3:54 PM  
Blogger Kelly Jo said...

Gosh, I havn't been that bad have I??? ... Ok well, maybe I have. Beware all! Kelly is in focus mode and only relieved stress, hugs, shoulder rubs, sleep, and God can save her!

11/08/2005 4:33 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I will give you hugs and shoulder rubs whenever you need them, dearest! The sleep and God half is up to you, but I always have hugs and shoulder rubs for my Kelly!

11/08/2005 7:25 PM  
Blogger Donna-Katie said...

sniff... I want hugs and shoulder rubs... sniff.

11/14/2005 1:40 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Kelly, I wrote about the play on my blog, so you have to go and see it. If you even get this comment...Kidding!

Donna, you don't live on campus so I can't give you shoulder rubs and hugs.

Kelly, your play was freaking awesome!

11/20/2005 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home