Saturday, January 28, 2006

Intrigued!


This afternoon, Mom and Nora came and whisked me away for a lovely afternoon. We hiked up to Dickey Ridge and sat on the launch site watching paragliders and hanggliders circle in the balmy "cycles" of wind above us. We saw several land and one guy take off. Since my family loves to learn about everything possible, we talked to one guy (toting his 40 lb. pack up the mountain) about the sport. Personally, I'm hooked--it would be so incredibly awesome! Mom darts a suspicious and scared look in my direction as I start, "When you were my age you jumped out of a plane didn't you Mom?" I'll work on that one . . .

Other things that have intrigued me this week include a couple movies:

That Thing You Do--I was in a bum mood and couldn't concentrate on work, so naturally I walked into my freshman dorm hallway and called loudly, "Hey ladies, I'm in a bum mood, anyone have any good movies or something?" My girls never fail me. Ali runs out with the DVD and Donna and I promptly plopped down to enjoy a clean but amusing flick about the Wonders and their rise to fame (written & directed by Tom Hanks; he's in it too.) The girls were right--you just can't watch that movie and stay in a bum mood. :)

I Am David--This is an awesome movie! The cinematography is beautiful, the plot and character development is profound and moving, and the acting is, well, poignant. I think it will be making its way up to my favorite movie list. It's the story of a young boy who escapes a work camp to find freedom, his identity, and goodness.

One last thing that intrigued me--a new artist that Smitha introduced me to named Russell Watson. He is from a small factory town in the UK, and with almost no formal training, quickly rose to the top of the UK charts with a Josh Groban style mission to bring opera and classical vocal music to the masses. With a repertoire from Ave Maria to That's Amore to the Bohemian Rhapsody to Torna a Surriento, his versatile voice and beautiful tones have been wafting from my dorm windows a lot in the last week. :)

Final intriguing thing from the past week--Benedict XVI's new encyclical on love. I'm not quite done reading it yet, but it's beautiful thus far. Check it out!

3 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Kelly, thanks again for the evening yesterday. I haven't had that much fun in a really long time. It was so good to be with your family and I really like your Mom! And Nora! And Bridget! The food was deliscious and the company excellent! Thanks again, for having me!

1/30/2006 10:08 AM  
Blogger coiledrose said...

Glad you had a fun evening with your Mom and Nora. I'll be seeing you in a couple days. Can't wait!

2/01/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

A new post is in order, Kelly! :o)

2/06/2006 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home