Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Random Things That Amuse Me

Today, I had some problem and couldn't stop sneezing at work. Adam, being the gentleman he is, kept saying, "Bless you," every two seconds. Eventually, he stuck a sticky note on my monitor that said, "Bless you!" He said he'd give me a new one tomorrow. I think the note is kinda like a door-stopper; it's a really clever way to be a gentleman without having to do any work. Kudos.

Erin--she amuses me highly, all the time. That's pretty much it. I just wanted to recognize her as pretty much the funniest person I know. Example: I'm happily listening to my music and she says, "What is this?!? I know I'm just a bystander and all but I have ears too." Ok, so not everyone has as wide or eclectic or just plain strange music tastes as I do . . .

Another thing that amuses me is my office's new found obsession with Yahoo's free Launchcast. It is a free online radio service where you create your own station--only a few commercials, customizable general play ratings, and suggestions of new music you might like.

My punctuation amuses me. After years of Turabian, I feel a moral obligation to put the proper spacing in ellipses. I've also (in casual writing) adopted my nametwin's compulsive hyphenating. I'll only mention one other thing before I stop boring non-English majors; I love semi-colons. Ok, I'm a dork. I'll stop now. (Do you like my strategic use of sentence length variation to help make this blurb more interesting?)

Other people that look as dumb as I do in the gym. They amuse me--only because I understand so well.

My made-up pronunciations of words.

I switch my turn signal on to turn into my driveway when NO ONE is around (except for a random chicken, runaway horse, or squirrel or something) and sometimes I accidentally turn it on when going around sharp curves (Bridget loves that one). I organize my closet by shirt material and sleeve length. I organize my books by genre. I'm meticulous about the fit and color of my clothes when I shop. However, I can also manage to spread evidence of my presence all over the house within five minutes of entering my house over break and I can stand a pied pile of clothing to decorate my desk chair. My craft stuff can easily cover a whole room (Erin says two rooms+ as she reads over my shoulder) and I can form a good argument for how I actually need all of it to be out at that moment. Then again, it sooner or later goes back into nicely labeled and organized craft bins (there are like 9 big containers of it). How can I simultaneously be ridiculously picky and type-A about some things and completely haphazard about others? Yay being almost equally German and Irish.

My "sherbert phase" amuses my family, even though I find it quite sane and normal. I've been well informed by my family that I'm emerging (fashion wise) from my "funeral stage" (all grays, blacks, and darker shades of winter colors) to my "sherbert phase" (lighter colors all combined together like those swirled sherberts). My recent partiality for colored pants has something to do with it I think. Dad coined the "sherbert" label the other day when I wore a mint green shirt with a lavender scarf, purple pants, a khaki jacket, and purple/green/copper bracelets. When I tried to object to the descriptive noun, Daddy asked if calling it "sorbet" made it better. Naturally it did. God knew what he was doing when he made my Daddy the father of all girls.

Alright, crawling back out from under the basket now before I scare you too badly. I think my reader count is going to plummet if I keep these type of posts up. I'll try and say something intelligent one of these days. Unfortunately, by the time I get around to blogging I'm all thought out for the day. Sorry.

6 Comments:

Blogger coiledrose said...

Don't worry, you'll always have a dedicated reader in me. How else am I supposed to keep up with all that's happening in your life? Blogs are my way of keeping tabs on people... :) And there are quite a few of you to keep track of!

1/12/2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger Donna-Katie said...

Hey, the Kellyness must be contagious; I think I'm entering into a sherbert phase myself.I just bought pink cords today at American Eagle... gak!

1/12/2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Nikolai said...

Yes, t'would seem we're all weird. It's strange what habits we get into when noone else is looking :)

1/12/2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger The Fonz said...

This is crazy. I just bought a lavender tie to add to my light pink tie. I figure that since I get so many comments about my pink tie, I'll get even more comments about a lavender one. Some of the comments aren't exactly what you'd call "good" ones, but that's only because they wish they had a pink Italian tie, too.

1/14/2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Kelly, I would never stop reading your blog. I'm very grateful to have friends as wierd as me. :o) And I think you are definetly God's way...and so is good punctuation!

1/19/2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger Jen P said...

Turabian rocks.

And if you like Yahoo, you'll LOVE pandora! (Pandora.com)

This is not a random "come see my blog, where I'll sell you diet pills" post. Even though you don't know me.

jen

1/20/2006 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home